Prev: Re: FT-Number crunching required (HELP) Next: Re: [FT] Fighter Balance (was: FT-Number crunching required)

[FT] Fighter Balance (was: FT-Number crunching required)

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:29:19 -0400
Subject: [FT] Fighter Balance (was: FT-Number crunching required)

OK. Where is the balance point?

Against a balanced fleet of Fleet Book ships, where is the balance
point?

Lets take a target fleet of a BB, 3 CH, 2 CE, 4 DDs (10 ships). One of:
NAC: 1x Victoria BB, 3x Vandengurg CH, 2x Furious CE, 4x Ticonderoga DD
NSL: 1x MVBurgund BB, 3x Markgraf CH, 2x Radetzky CE, 4x Walburg DD
FSE: 1x Roma BB, 3x Jerez CH, 2x Milan/E*, 4x San Miguel DD
ESU: 1x Petrograd BB, 3x Voroshilev CH, 2x Beijing/BE CE, 4x Warsaw DD
 *FSE has no ADFC ships. Milan/E replaces a C2B and a salvo missile
reload
with an ADFC and 2 extra PDS (and reorients the remaining C2B to
FP,F,FS).
Fleet mass runs 582-634. Cost runs 1950-2120

I know that 1 fighter group has little value. 2 has some value, but I
would
still give standard weapons the advantage. 3 is close to even value. 4
begins to tip the advantage toward the carrier fleet. 5 goes to the
carrier
fleet. All IMO.

How would you read the situation? How many fighter groups are too weak
to be
of value. How many are too many as to be overpowering if the other side
does
not have any?

A balanced system should not force the other side to take it to be
competitive or to take the specific remedy (i.e. screens vs beams).

Please do not read the above as sarcastic. It is not intended to be. I
would
like to know where others find the balance.

-----
Brian Bell
-----

I am