Prev: RE: Rules Clarifications (new FAQ?) Next: Re: David's vehicle design

Re: Computer problems

From: Colin Plummer <colin@i...>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 15:45:42 +0100
Subject: Re: Computer problems

Thus spoke Glenn M Wilson on Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 09:30:29AM -0400 :

> Been there (I have a 'delightfully randomly functional' Compaq
Presario
> CDS 520) and you have my empathy/sympathy.  Maybe it will just go
away...

Advice from the technical....

Ensure the CD-ROM drive is seated securely and the power and ribbon
cables
are securely attached.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for your drive

Make sure you have any relevant patches for your OS

Other strangeness....

Ensure that the CDROM and your hard drives are not on the same IDE
channel
(ie, plugged into the same cable and therefore only one socket on the
motherboard)

Ensure that any old drivers/software that you no longer use is removed
from
the system (the easiest way to do this is re-install your OS,
unfortunately)

If nothing else works....

If it's an old CDROM, consider getting a newer one - it may just be
wearing
out - sometimes they do.

Have a hunt for a) Motherboard BIOS upgrade.  b)  CDROM firmware
upgrade.
Follow the instructions very carefully, if you do it wrong your
motherboard
or CDROM (depending on a, or b) may never work again.

Hopefully that should have covered off most of the things that might be
a solution to your unidentified problem.

--
Colin P

Prev: RE: Rules Clarifications (new FAQ?) Next: Re: David's vehicle design