Prev: Re: [SG2] New Rules Playtest Results Next: Re: New New Israelis

Re: DS & SG at Gen Con

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 22:40:14 -0400
Subject: Re: DS & SG at Gen Con

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001 09:07:30 -0500, bbrush@unlnotes.unl.edu wrote:

>Anyone running a DSII or a SGII game at Gen Con?  I've been perusing
the
>events they're selling tickets for at the WotC store, but I haven't run
>across anything except for the annual Full Thrust tournament (which BTW
>we're "encouraging" Hobie to play in).  Being a tread-head I'd prefer
DSII,
>but I'm more than willing to get squad after squad massacred in bloody
>fashion in SGII.

There seems to be a distinct reduction in events across the board this
year.
Last year was the first where every game I ran had multiple people
showing up
with generics! They had a 25% increase in attendance, but they've been
slowly
losing judges. There are a few reasons for this. Miniatures,
particularly
historicals, have been dying at GenCon. I think the '98 and '99
locations for
miniatures hurt them, even though last year the miniatures events were
in a
good location. But the problem is endemic to the entire con, because my
RPG
friends had a nasty time trying to get tickets for events last year.
They
noted a real decline in the number of Call of Cthulhu events this year,
for
one thing.

I did the only SG2 games last year, and ran about half of them the year
before. Unfortunately, I'm not going this year. Well... 90% sure. A
friend
suddenly had room freed up in his car and has a room with no room mates,
so
I'm a little tempted, but it's incredibly unlikely.

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,
   "Jack B. Quick, Boy Inventor"

Prev: Re: [SG2] New Rules Playtest Results Next: Re: New New Israelis