Prev: Re: [SG2] Vehicle Bail Out Next: Re: [SG2] Vehicle Bail Out

RE: [SG2] Vehicle Bail Out

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 5 Jul 2001 11:57:00 -0700
Subject: RE: [SG2] Vehicle Bail Out

On Thu, 05 July 2001, Ryan M Gill wrote:

> I'm still new to Stargrunt but I've done a lot of study of infantry
> and armour tactics so I'll take a stab at some of this.

And your comments are excellent. Thank you.

> But, there is now a hole in the side of the vehicle the systems are
> down, the engine is smoking and one or more of the crew are dead.
> Time to get out before the fire reaches the magazine's or worse the
> fuel cell and the vehicle brews up.

That would suggest bailing out automatically for a "disable" and
"destroyed" result in Stargrunt terms. Would there ever be a situation
where there was a hole in the vehicle, possibly some smoke, but the crew
stays inside anyway?

> I guess it all really depends on if the vehicle is just disabled or
> really well worked over by the penetrating round. If its just
> disabled they can take their time. If its holed then they want out
> now.

You mention two situations: "disabled" and "holed". These are
represented by three situations in Stargrunt.

A "destroyed" result comes from a weapon penetrating the vehicle and
causing it to brew up. Casualties test armour versus twice the size
class of the weapon that hit them (they have to exceed twice the size
class on their armour roll to escape injury). This is a "holed" result
that's done major damage.

A "disabled" result is the same as "destroyed" for game purposes. A
weapon has penetrated the vehicle. In this case, the armour test is
against the size class of the weapon (instead of twice the size class).
This is a "holed" result that's done some damage, sent shrapnel
throughout the vehicle, knocked out the systems, but hasn't set it on
fire.

A "system" or a "suspension" result occurs from a non-penetrating round.
Either the vehicle is temporarily immobilized, or the vehicle has had
all its systems temporarily shut down. This seems a closer match to your
"disabled" result, with the added possibility that the systems may come
back online.

> In both situations they count as being suppressed. In the case of the
> "RIGHT NOW!", the crew  bailing are naturally immediately suppressed
> (perhaps doubly so, ie two suppression markers?). They aren't going
> to be doing much for a little while anyhow.

I'm hesitant to add a second suppression marker. That would effectively
end their next activation. Since they have little control over where
they end up bailing, I think this could be a little too penalizing.

> Immediately after the Penetrating hit is reached... Surviving crew
> gets placed d6" away from the vehicle in a circle. They receive 2
> suppression markers. This takes place immediately after the
> resolution.

This is what I do, though with only 1 suppression.

> An anti-armour team up close in an ambush that took out
> the vehicle with its first activation would then have a second
> activation to shoot at the crew as they bail out with SAWs and other
> small arms.

This is allowed in the current rules, though the attack would happen
wherever they ended up after bailing out. In my own house rules, the
other half of the squad could fire on them in a form of Reaction Fire.

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com

Prev: Re: [SG2] Vehicle Bail Out Next: Re: [SG2] Vehicle Bail Out