Prev: Some "help" for St. Jon Next: Re: [sg] More on the Gurkhas

big ships

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 20:34:02 -0400
Subject: big ships

David wrote:
I don't know much about the Canadian navy,
but if they were working on a class of ship
they're used to working on, and they weren't
trying to do anything they hadn't done
before, then I don't think size would have
that much to do with their overruns.

[Tomb] You'd think that. But as I said, ship
construction is a continuing affair. You
make it sound like you issue a design and it
gets built. Each one (or each small run if
you're building small ships) tends to vary
from the last and incoroporate design
changes, engineering improvements, bug
fixes, and sometimes some new bugs. Often
that means that you never really get full
cookie-cutter production underway. If you
end up with a major Shipalt, (Shipboard
Alternation), then you can have a significant
production delay and cost increase.

Additionally, your point above about cost
overruns not always being technical in
nature doesn't exactly remove the point. If
you construct a large vessel, you involve
more hands. Each one looks at the larger
project and says "Hmmm, I can bury more
profit in this one because its so big". Plus
you get the inefficiencies of scale (and
there are a lot of those). This pork barrelling,
profit taking, and sometimes just recouping
of costs lost low-balling on other contracts is
one factor that helps drive up the cost of
larger projects. Plus empire building goes on
in larger project teams.

Allan made good hard-data points about
modern ship construction costs. If you don't
think that things will be the same in 200
years, do what you want to do. Just realize
your universe will favour the construction of
supervessels. Costs being the same per
mass (or cheaper), the combat efficacy of
large vessels will make them the choice. You
can do this, it's your game :)

Sometimes a hammer costs $150 because it
has been tested 13 ways from sideways, it
floats, it won't ever break, it resists
corrosion, it meets MilStd-1111A and
1111B, it can be used as an emergency
close combat weapon and also as a splint.
Sometimes it is because the military
procurement bureaucracy runs on its own
set of rules and these methods increase the
cost of a good without increasing its
capacities.

The toilet seat on the Admiral's private can
aboard the CVN is probably no more
functional than that in the Other Ranks
communal can aboard a DD, but I'd bet it
ends up costing more. No "technical" reason
for it, but plenty of political, business, and
organizational reasons.

Prev: Some "help" for St. Jon Next: Re: [sg] More on the Gurkhas