Prev: FT-Maths check Next: Some "help" for St. Jon

Re: [sg] More on the Gurkhas

From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@b...>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 09:32:18 +1000
Subject: Re: [sg] More on the Gurkhas

At 11:48  29/06/01 -0400, you wrote:
>At 4:48 PM +1000 6/29/01, Derek Fulton wrote:
>>
>>Possibly, but they wouldn't be the Gurkhas of popular ledgend. I saw a

>>report a show called 'Foreign Correspondent' on the National
Boardcaster
>>(ABC) which was about peacekeeping in the west coast of Africa, forget

>>exactly where though. The reporter and his film crew went out on
patrol
>>with a unit of Indian army Gurkhas through a highly dangerous area (so

>>the reporter claimed) and frankly these guys weren't a patch on the
>>British army Gurkhas.
>
>At least at current, the British get the best of the best from those
that
>volunteer for service. The pay in Britian is better, the time of
service
>is around 15 years and as such they have really good troops. That
second
>web site that I posted explains quite a bit.

Sorry missed the url, but the Gurkhas are definately a product of their
enviroments, before and after enlisting. But this all could be a moot
point
sometime last year Beth caught a news story saying that the British were

either stopping recruitment or cutting back, keeping a small core and
sending the rest ( and their families) back to Nepal. Can anyone shed
light
on this?

Derek

Derek Fulton
12 Balaka st.
Rosny, Hobart.
Tasmania,  7018.
Australia

Phone; (03) 62459123
Mobile; 0438459123
Email; derekfulton@bigpond.com

Prev: FT-Maths check Next: Some "help" for St. Jon