Prev: RE: GZG catalog item pics needed Next: RE: GZG catalog item pics needed

Re: Why superships cost more per mass

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 18:00:42 -0400
Subject: Re: Why superships cost more per mass

David Griffin wrote:

> I don't know much about the Canadian navy, but if
> they were working on a class of ship they're used
> to working on, and they weren't trying to do anything
> they hadn't done before, then I don't think size
> would have that much to do with their overruns.

I don't think it was the size, but the politics.  The Canadian Navy
really doesn't get enough money to keep a shipyard working, and the
twelve ship class was split between two shipyards, one in Quebec and
another in the Maritimes.  When not repairing fishing boats or naval
vessels, the workers are unemployed (they may also build commercial
ships, I do not know).	I suspect that one of the reasons behind
building the vessels in the first place was to keep the yards from

Prev: RE: GZG catalog item pics needed Next: RE: GZG catalog item pics needed