Prev: Re: [SG2] Generic Weapons? (was Re: [SG] Crew Served Weapons???) Next: Re: Why superships cost more per mass

[FT] Robot workersRe: Why superships cost more per mass

From: devans@u...
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 08:49:44 -0500
Subject: [FT] Robot workersRe: Why superships cost more per mass

***
Plus what makes you think FT ships are constructed with a big workforce?
Even now robots almost completely
construct some cars and computers, maybe the shipyards are highly
automated. So managing a big workforce may
not be a problem.
***

Understood, but you have to watch the FM factor youve introduced here.
Replacing humans with robots DOES reduce costs, especially in space, but
once you've got robots in all construction, it starts looking more and
more
like the human structure. Sure, you can build, mothball the robots, then
trot them out again. However, given tech obscelence, and the cost of
completely rebuilding an infrastructure compared to incremental
improvements, might well make it indistinguishable at the
FT-granularity.
Ditto, I'm guessing, with control structure.

Though, the rebuild CAN work very well. Much of the strong German and
Japanese economies can be traced to the war devastation leading to
wholesale modernization. Parts of recent US economic upturns are also
examples.

However, this is still mostly guesswork, and YMMV is still highly
operative. I'd have to say the current thread on corruption in ship
construction is VERY speculative, unless I missed ANYONE declaring their
expertise in the area.

I declare NO EXPERTISE, even the comments above, so I'll try to let them
stand.

Prev: Re: [SG2] Generic Weapons? (was Re: [SG] Crew Served Weapons???) Next: Re: Why superships cost more per mass