Prev: Re: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass? Next: RE: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass?

RE: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass?

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 05:48:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass?

If you're using the ship in some role where a small
ship will do, use a small ship. You wouldn't employ
the Iowa as a coast guard rescue ship.

But you can get a LOT of service out of a big
versatile ship. Some of the Iowa's might be museums
now but we used them in 3-4 wars for a long period
of years. We definitely got our money's worth out
of them. I suspect we'll keep our carriers going for
an equally long number of years.

So, yes a big ship is expensive to operate, but if
you need a big ship for a particular role, it can
still be a bargain. What small ship would you
replace an american supercarrier with?