Prev: Re: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass? Next: RE: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass?

RE: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass?

From: "David Rodemaker" <dar@h...>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 06:43:55 -0500
Subject: RE: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass?

> This is a real cost difference, and it favors the DD, but after
> removing that
> cost consideration, the DN is cheaper per ton.  Construction of
american
> supercarriers is not a good example to base the costs of a large
> ship, as they
> are deliberately built in such a way as to have the next keel
> being laid when
> slip is cleared.  They are deliberately constructed as slow as
> possible, to
> maintain an employed group of skilled workers.

I'm not sure that this example is *not* applicable in the GZG universe
(or
any other FTM), the reasons we (or the UK or whomever) does this are
pretty
much the same...

Training those workers when you *really, really* need to build a whole
bunch
more (like a war) is bad news. That's why ship-builders and other "vital
workers" (like machinists) were prohibited from enlisting during WWII,
even
if they wanted to! (Happened to my grandfather...)

Prev: Re: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass? Next: RE: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass?