Prev: Re: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass? Next: [COMMERCIAL] GZG SUMMER SALE!!!!

Re: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass?

From: devans@u...
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 05:59:57 -0500
Subject: Re: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass?

> > This may NOT be true. Example -- dreadnoughts of
> > World War I. They built a LOT of those.
> > ***
> >
> > 'A lot' in this case is a very relative term. ...
<snip>
> The only ships that were ever mass produced were the liberty ships of
WWII.
> They were also the only ships built on an assembly line.
<snip>
Not so sure about this statement. I have a photo of seven Spruance class
destroyers being assembled at Litton / Ingalls in the seventies. ...
***

While I've heard somewhat similar stories concerning built-up frames on
WWII DD's, I didn't mean Henry Ford style assembly lines; more the
difference between a Rolls Royce and a true one-up, say, a racing car.
However, I'm willing to concede this in the main.

The earlier statement about tankers, in particular, had me stopped a
bit,
though I'm not certain pure volume considerations quite fit the
discussion
going forward, but, again, I'll have to cogitate.

I'm having trouble finding much in the way of costs on ships, so far,
though I haven't dived into the University's library. The few of figures
I've found so far, between earlier war capitals and later, suggest a
doubling to trebling for 2/3 increase in displacement.

Of course, the later ships could pretty much waste an appropriate amount
of
earlier ships(speed, guns, and protection), and I'm not THAT familiar
with
WWI-time inflation.

Prev: Re: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass? Next: [COMMERCIAL] GZG SUMMER SALE!!!!