Prev: [FT] First Round Re: Monster ships Next: Re: [FT]Sensors and Sensibility[LONG]

RE: [SG] Crew Served Weapons???

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 07:13:21 -0400
Subject: RE: [SG] Crew Served Weapons???

An interesting weapon.

Yes, I would agree that it would fall in the RFAC/1 category.

It looks like they intend a man-load of about 35lbs. The weapon and fire
control would be carried by one man. The tripod and a small amount of
ammo
(28 rounds) carried by another. The rounds weigh almost a pound apiece
(37
in a 35lb case). So a team of 4 would provide 102 rounds and a squad of
8
would provide 250 rounds. The weapon fires semi- or full automatic. The
page
did not state the rate of fire on full automatic. How long would the
ammo
last before the team would have to withdraw for more ammo?

Now I am talking through my hat, but I will try to take a conservative
guess. Let's assume 3 rounds per fire on semi- and 20 rounds per fire on
full (still assuming controlled usage and not "emptying the canister").
In a
SG game (1-5 minutes), this would give a 4 man team 30 turns of fire and
an
8 man team 80 turns of fire using semi-automatic. In a DS2 game divide
these
numbers by 3 (3-15x as long a turn) to get 10 and 27. These numbers are
fairy large, and it is unlikely that a crew will burn through their ammo
in
a single SG2 or DS2 game.
At full automatic, it is a different story, 5 rounds fire for a 4 man
team
and 10 rounds for a 8 man squad (DS: 2 rounds for a 4 man team and 4
rounds
for a 8 man squad). Usage would probably fall somewhere in-between. Yes,
the
entire company could be carrying ammo, but I think that they would be
more
concerned with carrying ammo for their own weapons, SAWs, GMS/Ps, etc.
For
extended missions, situations where ammo is in short supply, or supply
is
far away, it could present a factor. Also if the squad looses personnel,
the
ammo supply drops quickly (almost 1/2 if an ammo carrying soldier is hit
in
a 4 man team and 1/6 in an 8 man squad). What would be a good way to
model
this?

Also, how do you model having to set the weapon up and tear it down? In
SG,
would this be a separate action? I think that setup falls below the
granularity of DS.

-----
Brian Bell
-----