Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku Weapons of the Day Next: Re: All pilots have certain traits in common...

Re: [FT]Sensors and Sensibility[LONG]

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 07:18:31 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT]Sensors and Sensibility[LONG]

----- Original Message -----
From: <aebrain@austarmetro.com.au>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 12:31 AM

> > I would make an amending suggestion.
> > For ships with weapons that have a maximum range greater than 36,
the
> > identify range is equal to the longest range weapon on board.
> >
> > Examples:
> >  Komorov SDN (Class-4 Beams)
> >  Any Sa'Vasku with 8 power points (using 12mu range bands)
> >  Any Sa'Vasku with 16 power points (using 9mu range bands)
>
> I'd thought about this. But if you use some examples, you'll find that
any
time
> a Komarov is up against anything larger than a Frigate, it will ID it
under
> normal circumstances quite adequately. And if it's up against 3-mass
scouts
> running silent in a nebula, maybe its weapons range *should* exceed
it's
> ability to ID
> them.

> This message was sent using the AustarMetro Internet Web Mail System.
> http://www.austarmetro.com.au/

Of course, there is the posibility of building a mass 3 sensor scout,
carried in you ship instead of a fighters (1 FC, 1 hull, 1 engine).
These
could also be used by a defender to picket a star system to detect and
identify incoming ships (think pirates/customs, not just military
missions).
These are more useful if the minimum jump in distance isn`t directly
atop
your planet though <G>. If you have a minimum jump in distance, the
penalties against using fighters to scout (as I posted before) becomes
even
more inportent.

BIF

"Yorkshire born, yorkshire bred,
strong in arms, thick in head"

Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku Weapons of the Day Next: Re: All pilots have certain traits in common...