Prev: AW: [FT]Star Trek rules - BIG thanks Next: Re: Fighter Customization Rules

Re: [FT]Sensors and Sensibility[LONG]

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 18:39:10 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT]Sensors and Sensibility[LONG]

----- Original Message -----
From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@yahoo.com>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 3:31 PM

> In this kind of scenario, you'd probably actually
> want ... gulp... scouts? Basically expendable ships
> who could go see what those bogeys were so they
> could be engaged?
>
> I wonder too given the invulnerability of fighters
> to anything but other fighters or Kra'vak scatterguns
> (until they attack) whether they wouldn't be the right
> vehicle for sensor scouts. They could be fitted with
> sensors instead of guns and scout ahead of the fleet.
> Could explain why some SDNs have 1 fighter squadron
> (not much good on the attack, but great for scouting
> because they can get there fast and can't be shot
> down).

The problem with using fighters would be the fact unless you are going
hold down the speed of your ships to less than 24 MU, your ships are
going
to outrun your fighters (5 turns of accleration of a thrust 6 FG will be
doing 30 MU per turn). The only thing I`d want to see would be a way of
ECM
to reduce the signiture of the ships emmisions to allo a ship to get
closer
or fool a enemy into thinking it is something else.

BIF

"Yorkshire born, yorkshire bred,
strong in arms, thick in head"

Prev: AW: [FT]Star Trek rules - BIG thanks Next: Re: Fighter Customization Rules