Prev: Re: [FT]Sensors and Sensibility[LONG] Next: RE: [FT]Sensors and Sensibility[LONG]

Re: E-E mini (was: Size Class Escalation)

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:53:57 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: E-E mini (was: Size Class Escalation)

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 04:36:52 -0700 (PDT) David Griffin
<carbon_dragon@yahoo.com> wrote:

Quoting me anent a Sovereign-clas mini:
>> [...] how big is "largish", who makes it, where'd you get it [...] <<

> Well, it's about 6" long maybe a bit longer. It's just a bit bigger
than the RAFM Excelsior miniature made for FASA, but cast in resin
rather than lead or pewter. Supposedly it's 1/3900 and made to sit next
to the DS9 model. <

Hmmm... That sounds a little bit small. The E-E should be about 7" long
in that scale, and I don't want to get into the discussion about the
DS9 model, because therein lies a can of worms which can just as soon
stay shut IMO. But what the heck, I'll go for it if I can find one.

> I bought it on Ebay from Impulse Models. <

Auction or sale? I don't know much about ebay. Does anyone have any
direct contact info for Impulse?

> I also bought a Defiant for about $15 and an Enterprise C. The
Defiant is about 2.5 inches long (about the size of the micromachine).
The Enterprise C is bigger than the E, or looks that way. It's supposed
to be 1/3900 too, but one of them is probably not. The defiant is one
piece, but the Enterprise C needs some assembly which I haven't done
yet. <

I have a resin kit of the Defiant (two-piece rather than one) that's
about the same size. It's in scale with the DS9 kit, if you accept the
box scale, about which there is some controversy...

The E-C is either about right or slightly too large. I can't remember
the supposed length of the Ambassador class (although 525m comes to
mind, which scales out to just under 5.5").

> FASA's website still has a few star trek miniatures for sale
(including some rawcliffe ones). <

Yes, I just got a Klingon L-24 battleship from them. It's intended as a
display model, but it's going to be painted, and should look good with
other FASA late-era Klingon stuff.

> The Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas (and their online store) sells
some current rawcliffe miniatures. Task Force Games is back in business
and turning out some new miniatures (including a pretty neat set of
Fed miniatures including a new battlecruiser, heavy cruiser, light
cruiser, and destroyer). <

Got most of the old TFG ones, so I doubt I'll need any more. Thanks for
the info. I'm going to have to go hunting.

Phil
----
"If you let a smile be your umbrella... you'll get wet teeth!"
  -- a forgotten comedian, quoted by me: Phil Atcliffe

Prev: Re: [FT]Sensors and Sensibility[LONG] Next: RE: [FT]Sensors and Sensibility[LONG]