Prev: Re: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass? Next: RE: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass?

Re: Mounted Cavalry (Dadada-dat-dada!)

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 15:34:38 -0400
Subject: Re: Mounted Cavalry (Dadada-dat-dada!)

At 12:57 PM -0700 6/24/01, Don M wrote:
>Don and I were perusing the Reimer Digital Library and came across a
>US Special Forces manual on mounted operations.
>
>Horse-mounted operations with pack animal (mule, donkey, horse)
>support, primarily.  However there is a chapter on llamas. . .
>
>The manual is surprisingly detailed and was revised last year,
>indicating someone's been thinking about this a great deal.

Some folks at the light infantry school are always thinking...

>Anyway, we've been corresponding with Nic about ordering a line of
>figures equipped in accordance with said manual.  We're going to be
>putting together a large enough order to get the line started with 4
>variations of equippage.  What we're going for is variations in
>weaponry--bullpupped rifles, M-79s, a SAW (folding-stock minimi) and
>a pack-wearing figure that with an antenna becomes an EW trooper,
>and without becomes a medic.

Sounds neat!

>What I'm curious about is will there be any other interest in these
>guys?	I'm hoping to get together enough orders to get Nic to do
>some more variations (horseholder, troopers charging with pistol at
>the ready, some warped officer that insists on carrying a saber,
>etc) after we order the main force.  Maybe eventually also loaded
>pack

Yep! I'd like to see a crew served MG set. I'll probably convert one
using a spare mortar team as the crew. Essentially an RFAC/1 on a
tripod....

>animals (loaded with dismantled light mortars, recoilless rifles,
>DFFGs, missle launchers, etc)??  Who knows, even a force of crack
>llama commandos some day.

There was a WWII Commando Captain (iirc) who carried a basket hilt
claighmore in the cross channel raids he led. M1911 .45 and a
claymore...not a bad combination in close assault when you think
about it... A Sterling Para model would be better perhaps....

>This is how I described them to Nic:
>  >>>
>They would be wearing standard camoflage uniforms, with boonie caps
>(the same Science Fiction boonie caps the OUDF has, with visors and
>commo mike).  They would be wearing cowboy-style boots, spurs, and
>leather chaps, and instead of traditional web gear they should have
>LBVs (loadbearing vests like the US Army has--will send pictures if
>necessary).  The troops will also be carrying small assault packs
>and 'camelback'-style water bladders on their backs.  Each man would
>also have a holstered pistol.
>

>Other armament would include: a bull-pupped rifle (simillar to NAC
>one, but no underbarrel grenade launcher), an M-79-style
>large-caliber grenade launcher, or a shotgun (bullpupped also).  The
>squad support weapon would be no larger than a Minimi, preferably
>with folding stock.  It would have to use the 200-round ammo boxes
>like the minimi.  All weapons would be carried cross-chest with a
>top-sling when mounted.
>  >>>

Why no integral GL?

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	  The gunshow loophole isn't		 - NRA -
-	     keep federal laws out of private lives	       -

Prev: Re: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass? Next: RE: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass?