Prev: Re: Mounted Cavalry (Dadada-dat-dada!) Next: RE: [FT]Star Trek rules?

Re: [FT]Star Trek rules?

From: Roger Books <books@j...>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:44:15 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [FT]Star Trek rules?

On 24-Jun-01 at 14:23, Richard and Emily Bell (rlbell@sympatico.ca)
wrote:

> Agis Neugebauer wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody,
> > normally I am in deep lurker mode.
> > But now a friend of mine wants to do some Trek space combat games.
> > I recommended FT. Are there any good conversion rules somewhere on
the
> > net? I know there was a discussion about trek energy fields on the
list
> > some while ago. Any web-site?
> >
> > Any help appreciated.
> >
> > Agis
>
> I would actually recommend FASA's Star Trek Starship Combat Simulator,
or
> Lou Zocchi's StarFleet Battle Manual.  StarFleet Battles is an
acquired
> taste, and overly complicated.
>
> If you must use FT, you must make some changes to reflect the Trek
> atmosphere. One change is that no ship has all of the power that it
needs
> to everything that it wants to do, at any given time.  The other
change is
> that shields stop damage.  In some ways, Trek ships are best modelled
by
> tweaking the Sa'Vasku rules to reflect that each shields only cover
one arc
> (but a ship will have six shield generators, probably requires 10% of
the
> ship's mass for a complete set of six), and each point of energy
assigned to
> a shield generator will stop one point of damage, and unused energy is
lost.

This sounds like you are trying to re-create SFB.  In the original
series
there were only ever two shields, forward and aft.  Phasers work fine
as beams.  Photons work fine as p-torps.  Disruptors work fine as
beams also.  Remember the most phasers we ever see fired are two.  At
most one photon.  I don't remember a ship firing more than one
disruptor.

Plasmas would need work.  Energy allocation is below the level of
granularity of FT.  If you want complicated play SFB.

Prev: Re: Mounted Cavalry (Dadada-dat-dada!) Next: RE: [FT]Star Trek rules?