Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku Weapons of the Day Next: RE: [SG] [FMAS] Cybermen

Re: [FT]Star Trek rules?

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 13:17:56 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT]Star Trek rules?

Agis Neugebauer wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> normally I am in deep lurker mode.
> But now a friend of mine wants to do some Trek space combat games.
> I recommended FT. Are there any good conversion rules somewhere on the
net?
> I know there was a discussion about trek energy fields on the list
some while ago.
> Any web-site?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Agis

I would actually recommend FASA's Star Trek Starship Combat Simulator,
or Lou Zocchi's
StarFleet Battle Manual.  StarFleet Battles is an acquired taste, and
overly
complicated.

If you must use FT, you must make some changes to reflect the Trek
atmosphere.
One change is that no ship has all of the power that it needs to
everything that it
wants to do, at any given time.  The other change is that shields stop
damage.  In
some ways, Trek ships are best modelled by tweaking the Sa'Vasku rules
to reflect that
each shields only cover one arc (but a ship will have six shield
generators, probably
requires 10% of the ship's mass for a complete set of six), and each
point of energy
assigned to a shield generator will stop one point of damage, and unused
energy is
lost.  Phasers are best im plemented with stinger nodes.  Biomass
consuming systems
should be left out, but P-torps must be assigned a firing cost, in
energy.  Disruptors
need an accurate description of what they do, before I can suggest rules
for them.

Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku Weapons of the Day Next: RE: [SG] [FMAS] Cybermen