Prev: Small Ships--Why? Next: Re: [OT] Unpredictable AI

RE: Small Ships--Why?

From: "Eli Arndt" <emu2020@w...>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 09:08:55 -0700
Subject: RE: Small Ships--Why?

> "David Rodemaker" <dar@horusinc.com> <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu> RE:
Small Ships--Why?Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:00:24 -0500

>> To the Wise and Venerable list,
>>
>> I apologize in advance for bringing up a topic I am certain must
>> have been
>> discussed many times on this group.
>> I have had little success locating references in the archive so I
>> will beg
>> your indulgence here.
>> My group has been having discussions as of late regarding the
>> usefulness of
>> smaller vessels (10 to 50 mass).  So far, we have found only a couple
of
>> uses for them.  As a note, we play cinematic rules.
>
><SNIP>
>
>> They seem to get smoked well before any beam weapons they are armed
with
>> fire.  Their increased maneuverability seems to have little impact on
>> increasing their survivability.  It may simply be a function of my
play
>> group's lack of experience but larger ships seem to be the way to
>> go. In a
>> design-your-own environment or in the Fleet Book fleets, would
>> small ships
>> have a role in your fleet in one-off games?
>
><SNIP>
>
>I think that you have your answer right there...
>
>In a one-off game, there is little reason to do so unless you have some
>fantastic tactical plan based around it.
>
>In a campaign game with economic rules however... (see the last thread
on
>campaigns)
>
>David

I agree.  In a one-off there's no reason.  Real fleets work because they
have layers and because radar is generally limited by the curve of the
earth and other such things.  By stringing your ships out you can extend
your sensor range.

Having smaller, faster ships also allows you to react to new situations
more effectively.  In a situation where you have an unidentified
contact, are you going to want to commit a large vessel or maybe check
it out with lighter craft who can move to make contact and then get away
to tell the tale or be no great loss when they die.

In short, small ships are only useful in the real world or in attempts
to simulate similar situations.

Eli

Prev: Small Ships--Why? Next: Re: [OT] Unpredictable AI