Prev: RE: [ft] Fighter Momentum Conservation (was: [OT] Unpredictable A I) Next: Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI

Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:08:47 +0200 (MEST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI

Derk Groeneveld schrieb:

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, K.H.Ranitzsch wrote:
>
> > There have been various incidents were HUMAN pilots /
> > weapons operators have brought down nice fat airliners.
> > With the right type of IFF and patern recognition software,
> > I don't think the risk from an AI would be any higher.
>
> IFF can be fooled. IFF can break down. Pattern
> recognition is very nice, except these incidents have a nasty habit
of
> happening beyond visual range.

Use a telescope or light enhancement ! And those circumstances are
precisely those where humans have problems too.

> But yes, humans make mistake,s too. But they, unlike
> machines, can be court-martialed as an example for other
> humans not to do it again ;)

And machines can be re-programmed/modified to avoid causes of errors.
In extremis, you could scrap the whole series. The Romans might
decimate a military unit for misdeeds, but not execute everybody.

Greetings

Prev: RE: [ft] Fighter Momentum Conservation (was: [OT] Unpredictable A I) Next: Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI