Prev: Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI Next: Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI

Re: [FT]SML question

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:38:59 EDT
Subject: Re: [FT]SML question

On 19 Jun 2001 13:48:18 -0700 agoodall@canada.com writes:
<snip.
>> Regardless of what really happens though, I like
>> the romantic notion of the fighter pilot (possibly
>> with a silk scarf) flying his viper/x-wing/
>> whatever through space;
>
>Well, the very first time I started an AI thread on this list, that
>was the consensus. It certainly makes for more engaging stories. And I
>have no problem with that.
>
>It's just that it also introduces a slippery slope. I've seen lots of
>posts with people trying to come up with something "realistic" based
>on what is, at heart, an unrealistic notion.
>
>The Tuffleyverse is pretty darn unrealistic. On the other hand, it's
>also a lot of fun. As such, I'm usually less interested in realism and
>more interested in internal consistency.
>
>Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com

I always get a chuckle when we get into "reality" discussions about the
FT (less so the DS2 and SG2 stuff) but I guess it's just an extension of
what model you use for your SF (Oh Lord, I've done it - used the "M"
word!) either WW1 Naval/WW2 Naval/ Modern Naval/Air Force/whatever as
what the assumptions you use.  Allan assumes that AI and advances in
science will make unarmed fighters a reality.  I assume this is a game
and all "reality" issues are more or less relevant to the fun of playing
the game.  Hence all are acceptable to be read or be treated as "delete
before reading" material.  *Why* they work the way they do is not as
important as the fact that they do.  Although I find the 'invulnerable
fighter' aspect a hole in an otherwise wonderful system.  If I was
prone,
I would mount all my DS2 drop troops in 'transport fighters' and pass
through the defending fleet untouched... <grin>

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI Next: Re: [FT] Unpredictable AI