Prev: Re: [OT] NKE's Next: Re: [WAAAAYYYY OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

Re: [FT]SML question

From: "Chris DeBoe" <LASERLIGHT@Q...>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 12:49:44 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT]SML question

> >It cannot be that restrictive a limit, or some things become
> >difficult. Thrust 2 must be practical for a merchant (the sample
cargo
ships all have
> >thrust 2), so >the time to get far enough out of the star's gravity
well
(and back in, on the
> >return trip)can not be an overly significant amount of the total trip
time.  If
> >it takes several weeks to get to the jump threshold (at thrust 2)
> >and only a few days to get to the destination star, it would be
unusual
to see a cargo ship
> >with less than thrust 10.

Bear in mind that it doesn't take all that much longer to get from A to
B in
a thrust 2 vs Thust 10 ship.  Picking a nice round number for distance
and
setting Thrust 1 at 10m/sec^2, and rather optimistically assuming I'm
doing
the math right:

d=1/2 at^2
1,000,000,000m = 1/2 (20m/sec^2) t^2  or 1/2 (100m/sec^2)t^2
t = 10,000 seconds (thrust 2) or 4472 seconds (thrust 10)

Prev: Re: [OT] NKE's Next: Re: [WAAAAYYYY OT] What makes a good miniatures web site