Prev: RE: [WAAAAYYYY OT] What makes a good miniatures web site Next: Re: [FT]SML question

RE: [FT] Defensive system ideas

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:39:31 -0400
Subject: RE: [FT] Defensive system ideas

[snip]

> Think for a moment of fleet defence. We have an
> outer layer of fighters, screening for other
> fighters and engaging incoming missiles. They
> attack things headed toward the fleet as a
> whole.
>
> We have an ADFC net  [snip]
>
> Then we have the close in "screening" fighters [snip]
>
> Then we have the last ditch PDS [snip]
>
> But this formation assumes you have fighter
> superiority (or fighters present!). If you don't,
> your fighter screening won't last long. So then
> you're down to ADFC and PDS. [snip]
>
> And of course, then we come to the vast
> annoyance of the floating fighter swarm (space
> vultures) that can't be attacked because they
> aren't attacking you. (In fact, if you think
> carefully about this, you'll note that a long
> range fighter strike at a planet opposed by
> standard corvettes, destroyers, and frigates is
> UTTERLY UNSTOPPABLE - the fighters fly by
> laughing as you can't shoot....).

[Bri] I had assumed that most planets would have a primary
defense of fighter groups. They are effective. They are
relatively inexpensive (in comparison to a ship). They are
multi-purpose (they can be used to support ground
operations).
 The invader comes in with 2 Hvy Carriers (12 Fighter Groups),
a BDN (1 extra Fighter group). 8 Cruisers, and 6 or so
Destroyers. The defense has 2-3 DDs, 4-8 FFs, 12 ER-SML
launchers (figure unlimited salvos), and 24 fighter groups.
If the fighter pilots are locals or have family on the planet,
they will be highly motivated. This would be an established
(but not major) colony.

> So, what kind of system would help
> 1) extend the defensive envelope of ships to
> allow them to engage fighters OUTSIDE their
> own engagement range
> 2) same as #1 but as it applies to MTMs and
> SMs
> 3) Provide an ability to attack fighter groups
> "lurking" in swarms nearby
> 4) allow some form of closer in area defence
> for non-fighter bearing ships.
>
> The answer (or one of them) is a Medium
> Range Interceptor Missile system. (MRIM).

[snip]

> What would it do:
> 1) Have an attack range of 12" (like a B1)
> 2) Have limited shots like a scattergun or SM
> 3) Be able to target any fighter or missile in
> range
> 4) Be fireable at fighters or missiles attacking
> the mounting ship like PDS but before the
> fighters can fire [Bri] PDS already does this.
> 5) I'd suggest it is the equivalent of 3 PDS
> shots (3 dice, PDS effects).
> 6) arc limited [Bri} For balance?
> 7) Like PDS, mounts it own tracking/homing
> therefore does not require a firecon
> 8) I'll guess at a 3-arc version for mass 1. Cost
> is 4 x mass. (logic: Unlike ADFC, it doesn't allow
> all beam-1s and PDS to shoot at fighters in the
> area of effect, just this system. It is more potent
> than a single 1mass, 3 point PDS but can't fire
> repeatedly and has limited arc coverage. Hence
> more expensive than a single PDS but only
> slightly).

[snip]

[Bri] Much too cheap in comparison to PDS and ADFC.
PDS: 1m 3c
ADFC: 2m 8c
MRIM: 1m 4c (1 shot? 3 shot?)
If this cost/mass is per shot, we are a little closer. Would
all 3 PDS dice go against the same fighter group or would
it be spread out? If spread out, the value increases.
If the damage could be spread out, I would choose 3 of
these over 3 PDS almost every time (at this mass/cost).

You can also look at the AF-HAWK discussions from a
little while ago in the list archive.

Other suggestions:

Area Defense System (ADS) (3 arc: 2m, 6c; 6 arc: 3m, 9c):
It can attack any fighter/missile/plasma/etc. in range.
At 6.x-12mu it does 1 PDS die of damage. 6mu and
less it does 2 PDS dice of damage.

Defense Drone Pack (4m, 21c):
This one-shot defense system launches a group of drones
to screen the ship from fighters/missiles/plasma/etc. They
act as screening fighters until destroyed (but may not
break the screen to attack). If attacked by fighters, it
counts as the fighter group attacking the ship, so PDS/ADFC
may attack the fighter group attacking the Defense Drones.
I tried to place the Mass/Cost at about 1/2 that of a Standard
Fighter Group. The Defense Drones must be launched in
the Fighter Movement Phase or the Secondary Fighter
Movement Phase.

Advanced Defense Targeting Control (3m, 12c):
Allows all PDS on a ship to target fighters/missiles/plasma/etc.
at a range of upto 12mu. May target attacking or non-attacking
fighters/missiles/plasma/etc. At ranges of 6mu or less, each PDS
gets a +1 on damage rolls (like interceptors).

All cost/mass figures are hand waves and would need to
be tested for balance.

Additional comments above marked by [Bri]

---
Brian Bell
bbell1@insight.rr.com

Prev: RE: [WAAAAYYYY OT] What makes a good miniatures web site Next: Re: [FT]SML question