Prev: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site Next: RE: [FT]SML question

Re: Taking pictures...

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 07:20:37 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: Taking pictures...

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Ryan M Gill wrote:

> At 9:19 PM +0200 6/18/01, Derk Groeneveld wrote:
> >Some of the pictures do have a low depth of focus - sort of on
purpose, to
> >make it seem larger than just a small miniature (selected wide open
> >diaphragm). But the other pics should have a decent depth of focus?
>
> F stop settings perhaps?

Umm. Wid open diaphragm = f-stop setting ;) Some are taken with a low
f-stop (wide open diaphragm) others with a high one.

> Have you a macro lens? Try the Macro lens adaptors with a wide angle
> up close. Thats how you get neat effects of the big huge gun held by
> the tiny girl (Trinity in the Matrix, "Dodge this!").

Yes, they were taken with a macro lense on the digital camera. Sometimes
was so close I noticed the camera moving the miniature ;)

> Oh, how long did the images take to process on the computer...just
> for the edification of folks talking about miniatures web sites...

Well, these were taken with a whopping expensive digital SLR I borrowed
from work. It took about 2 minutes per shot to get the shot sorted. Add
another 2 minutes for downloading (Ugh, those serial links are SLOW),
and
another 2 to get the graphics sorted, makes 6 minutes per shot. I had to
discard about 1 in 3, so add 50% for 9 minutes per photo.  This was
AFTER
sorting out automatic adjustments and adding them to my adjustment
gallery. I have a script sorted which makes the galleries, so you have
add that process to the bulk time.

Without all the preparation stuff, I'm at 9 minutes per figure. Let's
say
you have a 500 figure range. That makes it 4500 minutes work, or 75
hours
CONTINUOUS work. I'd say you can get no more than 25 of this in a week,
so
that's 3 weeks spent just getting the pictures sorted. That's hardly
neglegible.

Cheers,

   Derk
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE7LuEtJXH58oo6ncURAhmwAJ9s5r4YlJGEaivyDaEqwc+WLOQuxwCfaVwA
GM9CicmXkt28lOw1q/z1uyc=
=VVr8

Prev: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site Next: RE: [FT]SML question