Prev: RE: [FT]SML question Next: [WAAAAYYYY OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

RE: [FT]SML question

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@s...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:09:58 -0700
Subject: RE: [FT]SML question

At 9:05 PM -0400 6/18/01, Ryan M Gill wrote:
>If we're worrying about our Littoral that much (full on combat vs
>customs/border patrol) then the cow waste has hit the HVAC system.

You could get a space game out of that concept too.

>I seem to recall one version of some DD having a well deck, but I
>may be mistaken.

A well deck reminds me of a littoral concept described in Naval Inst.
Procedings back in 1999  (that still sounds weird). The concept was
for a small hydrofoil craft, with the ability to semisubmerge and
equipped with modular bays for on deployment reconfiguration. With a
stealth design and the hiding thing, they'd be able to lurk off the
coast until a target presents itself. The bigger amphib ships would
be able to service them. It's a very futuristic concept and a very
different type of FAC, but it should work well for extended
operations off someone elses coastline.

here's the issue TOC, with full text for the above article
http://www.usni.org/Proceedings/Articles99/PROweeks.htm      (I did
*not* know that Proceedings back issues were online, now we all do)

Speaking of littoral warfare, the same issue (November '99) had an
article (Lt.Col. Stout, USMC) proposing that the USMC build  a
twin-engine *prop* plane for the close support role. The author
suggests an updated F7F. They compare well to the Harrier in many
important categories, and use proven technology unlike the JSF VTOL.
The main idea is to get a plane capable of loitering for hours over a
battlefield with four times the ordnance load of an AV-8B. Operating
off the amphib carriers would be a cinch for an F7F. They could even
escort Ospreys

Sadly, this article is not on the USNI website.

>Speaking of small craft...There is an excerpt on Janes about a new
>Russian FAC..
>
>http://www.janes.com/defence/naval_forces/news/jni/jni010614_1_n.shtml

Replacing the Tarantul ? I've got a model of a Tarantul class boat
sitting right over 'there'. I've always liked that class.

And I'm crossposting this to NavWarGames, because we're way OT,
unless someone wants to adapt FT for mid 21st century littoral
operations.

http://www.usni.org/Proceedings/PRO1999toc.htm#NOV1999

--

Michael Carter Llaneza

Devolution is very real to me.

Prev: RE: [FT]SML question Next: [WAAAAYYYY OT] What makes a good miniatures web site