Prev: Re: [FT]SML question Next: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

RE: [FT]SML question

From: Aaron Teske <mithramuse@n...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:31:32 -0400
Subject: RE: [FT]SML question

At 04:59 PM 6/18/01 -0400, Ryan wrote:
>At 10:11 PM -0400 6/17/01, Aaron Teske wrote:
>>Although it may be worth noting that one reason behind the switch from

>>Seawolf to Virginia is to redesign for increased littoral warfare; the

>>Seawolf is cold war-style boomer hunting, the Virginia is supposed to
be
>>more flexible.  (Though I think the 3rd Seawolf is going to the SEALs
for
>>specops.)
>
>Ahh, but again, its for operations on someone else's littoral.

Hmm, meant to add in the bit that, while they're more for offshore ops
on
someone else's coast, there's no reason they couldn't hang around our
own
as well.  It's just that, at the moment, there's no operational reason
for
them to do so -- even during the Cold War you sent the attack subs out
find the boomers well before they got that close....

>Small combatants tend to have a hard time self deploying to the other
side
>of the Ocean. They can do it, but they aren't as nearly fast or
seaworthy.

<grin> That's generally what makes a littoral ship, no?  Anything larger

tends to be considered a regular Navy ship...?

Prev: Re: [FT]SML question Next: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site