Prev: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site Next: RE: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

RE: [FT]SML question

From: "David Rodemaker" <dar@h...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:44:28 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT]SML question

> > This also asumes there is no limit how deep into the gravity well of
the
> > star you can actually use the FTL drive. If you cannot use a
> FTL within a
> > certain limit of the star, a whole new tactic opens up relating
> to attacking
> > a fleet as it travels in system (or being able to see what is
> coming towards
> > you and running before you`re killed <G>).
>
> It cannot be that restrictive a limit, or some things become
> difficult. Thrust 2
> must be practical for a merchant (the sample cargo ships all have
> thrust 2), so
> the time to get far enough out of the star's gravity well (and
> back in, on the
> return trip)can not be an overly significant amount of the total
> trip time.  If
> it takes several weeks to get to the jump threshold (at thrust 2)
> and only a few
> days to get to the destination star, it would be unusual to see a
> cargo ship
> with less than thrust 10.  The capital cost, and loss of cargo space
is
> unimportant, it gets to the jump threshold in only a twenty-fifth
> of the time,
> and could make two (or more) trips before the slower, cheaper
> vessel (with more
> cargo space) gets to the first jump.

It depends upon the profitability more than the turnaround time.
Otherwise
everything would ship via Concord and Hydroplane <g>

However you could also move to the old Traveler model and have a safe
jump
limit (past 100 diameters) and the dangerous inner ring (10-100
diameters)
and the "only if you want to die" (within 10 diameters) model. I tend to
like this one somewhat.

Prev: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site Next: RE: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site