Prev: RE: [FT]SML question Next: RE: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:23:24 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

At 10:44 AM -0500 6/18/01, Andy Cowell wrote:

>So, you're saying that a sound company which is not computer literate
>but manages to publish their no-picture catalog online will face
>"high" consequences.  Please explain, because I don't see how that
follows.

Come on, he's not talking about the internet police descending and
wreaking havok, he's meaning that they won't get as much business.

>  > Frankly, my assumption is, if you don't have pictures of what
you're
>>  selling on the net, then you don't want me to see it.  If you don't
>>  want me to see it, you've got something to hide, and whatever you
>>  want to hide, you can keep it.
>
>Again, the state of the industry and of companies with no picture
>websites would seem to indicate that this is a non-issue.  I think
>most people are adequately satisfied by sample pictures or "word of
>mouth" reiews.

Ok, I've been aware of the Eureka miniatures site for more than 2
years. I've bought figs from there only once I'd seen what they
looked like after someone posted them here. I could have bought some
figures long before had I known what I was getting.

Several people have stated they want to see pictures.

>I think some people online with computer familiarity tend to get
>overwhelmed by the availability of resources and ease of use, and
>overemphasize the Net's role in our hobby.  I have been guilty of

Don't underestimate them. People are taking to it like ducks to
water. My mom has found e-bay and spends quite a bit of time looking
for all sorts of things. She's just as cautious. Don't buy what you
can't see. Be suspicious.

>this.	I would venture that the majority of our hobby weigh in on the
>casual net user (or less) side.  Really useful websites are difficult
>and expensive to maintain and keep up-to day, and most miniatures
>companies can't afford it-- and nobody's offered any evidence that it
>would be cost effective for them to do so (although I think it can
>be).

Not really. A picture is easy. Server space is cheap now. Colocation
space costs for the customers has dropped through the floor.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	  The gunshow loophole isn't		 - NRA -
-	     keep federal laws out of private lives	       -

Prev: RE: [FT]SML question Next: RE: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site