Prev: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site Next: Time to end? Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

From: steve@p...
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:00:15 +0100
Subject: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

> Harsh maybe, and the industry might be doing fine, off the net,
> without pictures, but on the net is another world.

Depends. ;-)
I'll argue 'til I'm blue in the face that the web is a different
medium and hence that rules worked out in other media don't apply.
And as a medium the web is not limited to visual displays anyway.
Decent web sites are accessible with audio browsers or over limited
bandwidth and poor display mobile devices.

But as the stock market over the past year has shown, the web is NOT
a 'new economy' or any such rubbish. The same economies apply. If
photos don't bring in more profits when used in non-web media then
there's no reason to suppose that they will bring in more profits
when used on the web. Note _profits_ not _sales_, see below.

You are providing anecdotal eveidence that the cost may be worth it
but saying that you won't buy from a site that doesn't have photos is
not the same as saying that you will buy from one that does. They may
add photos and you still won't buy, so they've wasted their money.

> And not being computer literate is _not_ an acceptable answer.  If
> you're going to be on the net, you'd better be computer literate or
> find someone who is.	The consequences are to high for everyone
> otherwise.

It is very, very easy to make a web site. This is both a good thing
and a bad thing. I would argue that a commercial organisation should
hire a professional to make its web site (of course I would, I am one
of those professionals) but for many miniature firms that is simply
an unacceptable cost.

So they do make the web site themselves. Now, how long does it take
to photograph 1000s of miniatures? How long does it take to prep
those photographs for use on the web (a different set of requirements
to prepping them for print use)?

Now remember that this is being done by a regular member of staff
(and there may only be one or two of those in the whole company) who
won't be available to pack orders, sculpt new miniatures, make
moulds, cast miniatures, do the accounts, etc. whilst he or she is
working on the web site. For a small company that may be an
unacceptable cost. A lot of miniature companies are very small and
anything that costs them business today, even if it would generate
business tomorrow, is simply not an option.

Again, in these small companies there may not be anyone with any
photographic experience. I'm an above average all round photographer
but my attempts to photograph miniatures have always come out
terribly.

> Frankly, my assumption is, if you don't have pictures of what you're
> selling on the net, then you don't want me to see it.  If you don't
> want me to see it, you've got something to hide, and whatever you want
> to hide, you can keep it.

Does that apply to GZG? Last time I checked the GZG web site (which
is only semi-official so may not count in your opinion) doesn't have
pics of large portions of its range. So do you refuse to buy from GZG?

Irregular have been mentioned. I hate the Irregular web site, it's
simply dreadful for many more reasons than simple lack of
photographs. But equally annoying is the Old Glory web site (the US
one not the even worse UK one) - they have photos of nearly
everything but often the photos are too bad to see anything useful.

I don't know if I have a point. I think that if I do it's to say that
it's not as easy as some people seem to think to produce a fully
illustrated web site on next to no money.

	Steve

--
The Ground Zero Games Meta-FAQ is available at
http://steve.pugh.net/grunt/meta-faq.txt

Prev: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site Next: Time to end? Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site