Prev: [DS2] Full Metal Ogre Playtest 7f (Long) Next: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

From: Andy Cowell <andy@c...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:44:02 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

In message <3B2E1A0A.D6012338@mindspring.com>, Randall L Joiner writes:
> Harsh maybe, and the industry might be doing fine, off the net,
> without pictures, but on the net is another world.
>
> And not being computer literate is _not_ an acceptable answer.  If
> you're going to be on the net, you'd better be computer literate or
> find someone who is.	The consequences are to high for everyone
> otherwise.

So, you're saying that a sound company which is not computer literate
but manages to publish their no-picture catalog online will face
"high" consequences.  Please explain, because I don't see how that
follows.

> Frankly, my assumption is, if you don't have pictures of what you're
> selling on the net, then you don't want me to see it.  If you don't
> want me to see it, you've got something to hide, and whatever you
> want to hide, you can keep it.

Again, the state of the industry and of companies with no picture
websites would seem to indicate that this is a non-issue.  I think
most people are adequately satisfied by sample pictures or "word of
mouth" reiews.

I think some people online with computer familiarity tend to get
overwhelmed by the availability of resources and ease of use, and
overemphasize the Net's role in our hobby.  I have been guilty of
this.  I would venture that the majority of our hobby weigh in on the
casual net user (or less) side.  Really useful websites are difficult
and expensive to maintain and keep up-to day, and most miniatures
companies can't afford it-- and nobody's offered any evidence that it
would be cost effective for them to do so (although I think it can

Prev: [DS2] Full Metal Ogre Playtest 7f (Long) Next: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site