Prev: Re: [FT]SML question Next: RE: [FT] Background vs Scenario Balance

Re: beams and shooting at fighters

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.Donald@a...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 02:35:50 -0400
Subject: Re: beams and shooting at fighters

It seems to me that as the fighters/ordinace approaches the ship, the
ship's
systems can see it better, track it better, hit it better.

What I understand about modern warfare...That modern ship/weapon/sensor
tech has
something like 95%+ (somewhere up there) chance to hit anything on the
ship's
sensors.  What matters really: is who fired first, and are your defences
fast
enough...

In the future setting of a space combat game, their ship/weapon/sensor
tech would
make modern tech look primative.  Faster reaction time, harder hitting,
can handle
greater amount of incoming targets, ect.

The real problem here is the attacker has to "overload" the defending
PDS's in
order to hit the target with fighters/ordinance.  I assume that
fighters/ordinance
would be carrying defensive ecm, ect....the ships would just carry far
more.

As tech advances, fighters would slowly lose out to the ship.  It would
eventually
reach a point where noone would ever consider sending out manned
fighters. (Read:
Suicide missions.)

Classic StarTrek is at this point.  Fighters in startrek are only used
by the
truly desperate...a single ship could knock out an entire fighter
squadron or two,
long before the squadron could get in range.

Most of the space combat shows/films are much lower than this.	Fighters
are an
effective weapon platform.

In FT/ect. we just have to deside where the ship/weapon/sensor tech
falls.	The
more advanced the tech, the less use fighters are.

Of course we could come up with various mods/"rulings" to the game to
give it the
proper tech feel.  ("Rulings" being something like "...ok noone has
anything
besides the basic fighter...", ect.)

Donald Hosford