Prev: RE: [OT] Squats Re: Gurkhas uploaded Next: The old GW OT

RE: [FT]SML question

From: "David Rodemaker" <dar@h...>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 09:46:09 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT]SML question

> > > With the fighters we just rule that they are so short range that
if
> > > the carrier withdraws the fighters surrender.  Of course we are
> > > playing human-human and assume reasonable prisoner exchange.
> > > As for the LAC's, let the chips fall where they may.  We do roll a
> > > chance for an intercept of the tug though.
> > If you roll for intercepting the tugs, the chance must be
> small. After all,
> > a solar system is a big place. My tactics would be jump in far
outsystem
> > (eg, 3 days travel), drop off the sting boats, and have them
> accelerate in
> > system while the tug jumps outsystem.
> You are confused, reality is nice but a balanced game is ultimately
> all that is important.  If we wanted all combat s hips to be
> battle riders we would do it the way you suggest.  We don't.

The other problem is rather psychological. Where do you find all these
highly-skilled pilots for suicide mission after suicide mission? If they
have no tug *they can't run away*...

This also pre-supposes that a LAC/Stingship has at least 3 days of
supplies
on board (and probably more like 7+ to account for maneuvering time
etc.)

If were are going to look at "reality" then you might want to examine
the
issues behind why *we* don't have a Navy full of PT boats for assault
and
patrol purposes... ;-)

Prev: RE: [OT] Squats Re: Gurkhas uploaded Next: The old GW OT