Prev: Re: [Ft] Objects was fwd: [Full Thrust] Earn Good Karma, Help a Newbie (fwd) Next: RE: [FT] Background vs Scenario Balance

RE: [FT]SML question

From: "David Rodemaker" <dar@h...>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:19:48 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT]SML question

> Also, in a campaign, how would you people work the building rule to
prevent
> pure fighter forces (ie-fighters used as offence, with the carriers
> withdrawing and picking up new fighters at cheaper cost than a
starship?),
> or using "stingboats/LAC`s" with FTL tugs (which for the same mass are
> cheaper than a normal FTL warship, if the tug withdraws/is
reuseable?).

My completely off the cuff answer is to make them more economically
expensive (i.e.. more crews) pr just limit the number of crews that you
can
replace/build more of per turn. Also perhaps have *all* fighter crews
that
are "replaced" start off as Turkeys and make them gain experience after
the
campaign starts.

Also make the replacement take *time*, either the fighters are sitting
on
forward base where the supplies can be attacked or captured, or they are
sitting in a protected base at the rear that the carrier is going to
have to
return to in order to stock, and then return to the front.

Or they are transported via freighter or some such to the front
...commerce
raiding anyone?

Keep in mind that the Tug becomes and even more tempting target in a
campaign game because if you kill it, you have killed their ability to
move
on a strategic level. That and I would guess that if you're in deep
space
and you kill the tug... Why the heck stick around? Demand surrender and
if
they don't leave. The life support systems on a LAC are probably less
extensive that those on a starship...