Prev: Re: [FT] Campaign vs Scenario Game Balance Next: RE: [FT] Campaign vs Scenario Game Balance

RE: beams and shooting at fighters

From: "Damond Walker" <dwalker@s...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:14:03 -0700
Subject: RE: beams and shooting at fighters

Derk Groeneveld Says...

[snip modern (yawn :) CIWS stuff]

> So, if PDS is upposed to fill the same role as CIWS, then their not
being
> able to engage targets not attacking the own ship, does make some kind
of
> sense. Now, one could argue that some of the criteria that ARE
applicable
> for naval warfare are NOT applicable in space warfare... But that's
> another discussion :)

True, true...

But, it's quite easy to limit the PDS to shooting at the nearest target
of
opportunity be it targetted at the mother ship or another near by.  As
well
as providing a modifier to the die roll for shooting at incoming targets
which arn't really gunning for the mothership.

Having said that...we need to project technology several hundred years
into
the future.  We have beam systems that are capable of hitting a target
anywhere from 12k to 36k+ kilometers distant yet we can't intelligently
target an incoming swarm of missles or fighters?

Prev: Re: [FT] Campaign vs Scenario Game Balance Next: RE: [FT] Campaign vs Scenario Game Balance