Prev: RE: Ghurka's uploaded Next: Re: beams and shooting at fighters

RE: beams and shooting at fighters

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:13:10 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: RE: beams and shooting at fighters

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Damond Walker wrote:

> > I wonder if there is a good way to address this.
>
>	I never liked the distinction between a standard PDS and ADFC.
A PDS
> should be able to shoot at anything within its range band regardless
of
> where that target is jetting off to at the moment.

Mmm. Just a comment from the POV from modern naval warfare. Close in
Weapon Systems, when in automatic mode, continuously make a selection of
all targets, to pick out those that are a threat to their ship, and then
concentrate on those targets, deciding when to open fire and when to
switch targets etc. They need to be in auto mode to operate effectively,
since a surface skimming missile allows for only very short reaction
times.

Therefore, modern close in weapon systems are NOT generally useful in
defending other ships, unless the attacking missile/fighter is coming
directly across the own ship.

So, if PDS is upposed to fill the same role as CIWS, then their not
being
able to engage targets not attacking the own ship, does make some kind
of
sense. Now, one could argue that some of the criteria that ARE
applicable
for naval warfare are NOT applicable in space warfare... But that's
another discussion :)

Cheers,

   Derk
Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE7KNSJJXH58oo6ncURAiemAJ4+KW1BfW1vJqjaKlZnjn3HAzYN4gCfZ2le
NRk736UJSHbAOJbYNZ/rOEo=
=MRts

Prev: RE: Ghurka's uploaded Next: Re: beams and shooting at fighters