Prev: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance? Next: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:41:39 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, David Griffin wrote:

> A modern carrier group has multiple layers of
> defense -- Fighters --> missiles --> gatlings.
> FT dispenses entirely with the middle layer
> of defense and gives us essentially the inner
> and outer.

Yes, I noticed this as well. However, PDS + ADFC seems to reflect some
of
those capabilities. Given that 6" is a significant range, apparantly PDS
is not _necessarily_ short ranged, it's juist the FC that makes it so.

With ADFC, PDS fulfills part of the role of the middle layer of air
defence that a sea sparrow fills.

> Gatlings seem like PDS to me. Fighters
> are fighters, though no FT fighter has the capability
> our F14's of today have with their Phoenix
> missiles, mores the pity.

Ah... But since even the big ones lack the longer range SMM's
(ship-missilie missile's), it makes sense that the fighters don't have
it
either ;)

> The role of the sea sparrow or standard or any
> other medium range SAM is not represented in FT
> at all. They would be the "interceptor missiles"
> which would possibly intercept salvo missiles or
> more likely MT missiles. Since Mt's are supposed
> to be pretty big, it probably wouldn't take all
> that agile a missile to take one down, especially
> if it could just get close and then set off a
> nuke, cloud of metal, or other area effect.

True,

> If you want to envision your PDS as missile
> batteries that's fine. However, I would point
> out that all other missiles in the game are
> limited by magazine space where a PDS is not.
> The implication is that the PDS is kind of a
> laser gatling. Of course this is by no means
> certain.

I was going to point out in reply to an earlier post that _projectile_
gatlings are AT LEAST as limited as missile launchers. But yes, energy
beam gatlings are not. Let's just clal it a rapid fire energy weapon,
then?

Cheers,

   Derk
Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE7KL8YJXH58oo6ncURAp6mAKC/2qmZfOtKpO8E5B1d186SEOhcMQCglS3h
V+UzMt01CvldPraQt6mzd/k=
=uMi5

Prev: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance? Next: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?