Prev: Re: Andrew Martin's webpage???? Next: RE: Ghurka's uploaded

Re: Painting FT models

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:48:14 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: Painting FT models

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Beth Fulton wrote:

> G'day Derk,
>
>  >Do you mount them on the stands and paint
>  >them while so mounted?
>
> Sort of. The little guys (or any ones really) which will sit easily on
> stand without fear of falling over or having to mangle the hole to get
it
> to sit are plonked on their stands while drying. Everything else rests
(wet
> side up) on old nappies or other suitable soft cloth. As for the
painting I
> do actually hold them in my hand (as I do with all figs I paint). You
only
> paint a bit at a time and make sure its VERY dry before you paint the
other
> bit (because you're going to be holding the painted bit... so make
sure
> your hands are dry, even if paint splattered). Its always worked for
me...
> that way I can get the shaking of my figure holding hand to match the
> shaking of my brush hand for the fine detail bits ;)

Mmm. Well, I gave up on holding figs while painting a long time ago; I
would invariably rub the paint off edges etc.

Anyway, I started painting my first FT model yesterday evening (MarkGraf
heavy cruiser), and simply glued it to the stand.

Oh, as for shaking hands... I tend to brace my elbows on table or knees,
hold the base (or old paint tins, I mount all my 15 & 25mm figs on old
humbrol tins before painting), and brace my brush hand on the other
when painting. Pretty much eliminates the shake :)

>  >But holding the model itself during painting would
>  >only result in a lot of metal showing through, I'm afraid.
>
> Like I said, not if you let it dry first (and assuming you've got an
> undercoat on it).

My experience differs :)

>  >how do you transport them?
>
> In Australia they sell large boxes of eggs (say for 30+ eggs), when
you
> pull out the inner egg holders the actual box is wonderful for
figures. Put
> the figures in then dump a heap of those "nuggets" that packers or
book
> transporters use so the figures can't jostle about (going to a book
seller
> and asking for his "unwanted mass of packers" usually means you can
get it
> for free). We also mount our stands on balsa so rectangles the same
width
> and length as the mini (or stand, which ever is greater) and this
stops
> jostling too. Works a charm and its cheap.

I'm curious about the balsa thing, not sure I understood it properly?

Also, does anybody have experience what kind of foam to use and what
foam
NOT to use (more/less abrasive etc)

Cheers,

   Derk
Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE7KGxCJXH58oo6ncURAlrkAJ4+H2q1Aaxtq/N9DIKRyiy1nGHHlwCg2F+w
qs96nB4D+r3zi8OCirpMI8c=
=Urcn

Prev: Re: Andrew Martin's webpage???? Next: RE: Ghurka's uploaded