Prev: Re: 2nd CanAm Next: Re: Painting FT models

Re: Painting FT models

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:17:15 +1000
Subject: Re: Painting FT models

G'day Derk,

 >Do you mount them on the stands and paint
 >them while so mounted?

Sort of. The little guys (or any ones really) which will sit easily on a

stand without fear of falling over or having to mangle the hole to get
it
to sit are plonked on their stands while drying. Everything else rests
(wet
side up) on old nappies or other suitable soft cloth. As for the
painting I
do actually hold them in my hand (as I do with all figs I paint). You
only
paint a bit at a time and make sure its VERY dry before you paint the
other
bit (because you're going to be holding the painted bit... so make sure
your hands are dry, even if paint splattered). Its always worked for
me...
that way I can get the shaking of my figure holding hand to match the
shaking of my brush hand for the fine detail bits ;)

 >But holding the model itself during painting would
 >only result in a lot of metal showing through, I'm afraid.

Like I said, not if you let it dry first (and assuming you've got an
undercoat on it).

 >how do you transport them?

In Australia they sell large boxes of eggs (say for 30+ eggs), when you
pull out the inner egg holders the actual box is wonderful for figures.
Put
the figures in then dump a heap of those "nuggets" that packers or book
transporters use so the figures can't jostle about (going to a book
seller
and asking for his "unwanted mass of packers" usually means you can get
it
for free). We also mount our stands on balsa so rectangles the same
width
and length as the mini (or stand, which ever is greater) and this stops
jostling too. Works a charm and its cheap.

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

Prev: Re: 2nd CanAm Next: Re: Painting FT models