Prev: RE: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance? Next: Re: Missing DS2 pages????

Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

From: devans@u...
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:48:22 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

***
Nobody ever tried to actually shoot at an aircraft with anything larger
5" (the Dover 8" coastal batteries being the only exception [from book
of forgotten title, written by Ian V. Hogg]).
***

I'll do some diggin', but I'm certain large bore, though perhaps not
18",
were used in a later battle, perhaps at Leyte, and were less than
effective, except exactly as feared, which was to foul or scour the
barrels
to almost useless.

Everything else you say makes sense, of course, but it appears the
Japanese
actually did get some shots fired in roughly the right direction.

The_Beast

-Douglas J. Evans, curmudgeon

One World, one Web, one Program - Microsoft promotional ad

Prev: RE: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance? Next: Re: Missing DS2 pages????