Prev: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust Next: Re: [OT] Trek shielding (was Re: Kinetic Shields)

Re: [OT] Trek shielding (was Re: Kinetic Shields)

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 04:50:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [OT] Trek shielding (was Re: Kinetic Shields)

--- Aaron Teske <mithramuse@njaccess.com> wrote:
...Though I
> (very!) vaguely seem to recall other times (in TOS
> or NG) where shields,
> although protecting the ship from, say, a puncture
> or whatever, still got
> rattled up inside... yes, that was certainly
> (over!)dramatic license, but
> it may also be like... the whatsits in Zahn's
> Conqueror books.  Their ships
> never *looked* like they were taking much damage,
> but the insides were
> falling apart from shock, etc., etc.
>
> Anyway, just thought I'd just point it out. ^_-

All the star trek games acknowledge this.
SFB had an optional rule called shield leakage
which let SOME damage in through the still
ok shields.

FASA had limited power in shields, so that
what they really did is cut down a lot on the
damage that got in each round. Then the
regenerated and did it again.

That's why there is some play in what this
system ultimately looks like. To me, as long
as it addresses all forms of damage and makes
a difference in terms of damage taken, it's
along the right road (even if it doesn't shield
from all damage every round).

Prev: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust Next: Re: [OT] Trek shielding (was Re: Kinetic Shields)