Prev: Re: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust Next: RE: Kinetic Shields

Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 22:43:54 +0200
Subject: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

Ryan Gill wrote:

>An object will float or sink based on its overall density. Density is
>mass/volume. The density  of the tank is higher than the density of
water.
>Thats with or without the hull sealed.
>
>>  > Less simply, we can look at the numbers (some one have better
>>>  numbers, please use them..)
>>
>>For starters, use metric units ;-)
>
>Then use all metric...don't mix...

Where did Karl mix? Tons are metric;1 ton = 1000 kg...

>>  > Balsa wood is about 8lbs per cubic foot.
>>
>>Don't have that handy in metric units, certainly less than 1 ton/cubic
meter
>>(the density of water)
>>Let's say 0.6 tons/m3
>
>Don't assume your numbers.
>
>Balsa ranges from 8 lbs per cubic foot to 14 lbs per cubic foot. Thats
>144.14 kg/m3 to 252.25 kg/m3.
>

>>  > That abrams is 70 tons
>>>  ok, some basic facts...
>>>  Outside dimensions. This is the perfect cube size of an abrams.
>
>That was short tons. 63.49 metric tons. or 63,490 Kg.

Hm. 63,490 kg is only 140,000 lbs. Where did you get 180,000 lbs from?
(doesn't change the result much, of course, since I had the woods mixed
up)

>>I think 'perfect cube size' is what Oerjan was talking about.
>>>  don't know the presice cubic footage. Any MAC loadmasters know?
>>>
>>>  93" x 387" x 144"
>>
>>My data are: L (Gun forward !) 9.83 m W 3.66 m H 2.44 m
>
>>Total outside volume: 87,785832 m3
>
>Shouldn't this be 87.78 m3 (L x W x H)?

It is the same. Us continental Europeans use commas to denote decimals -

causes no end of problems with USAmerican computer programmers who
insist
on using decimal points...

>  This is our total outside volume either of our tank or of our balsa
wood
> block.
>
>63,490kg/87.78m3 = 723.28 kg/m3 this is the density of the tank.

Pure water has a density of 998 kg/m3 (at 18 degrees Celsius), which is
fair bit more than 723.28... <g> (Sea water is heavier still, of
course.)

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust Next: RE: Kinetic Shields