Prev: Re: [rant] The Website thing... Next: Re: Fighter bay design (was: FT-Fighters and bays)

Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

From: Indy <kochte@s...>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 13:34:09 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

Ryan M Gill wrote:

> At 7:54 AM +0200 6/8/01, K.H.Ranitzsch wrote:
> >
> >This was my first reaction, too. But I think Oerjan is referring to a
cube
> >with the length/width/heigth of the Abrams. The actual volume of the
Abrams
> >is rather smaller, as a fair amount of that volume will be air
outside the
> >tank. So it could be the atnk may not swim, but Oerjan still be
right. I
> >also remember reading that tanks crossing a river underwater had a
problem
> >with their buoyancy, that they had difficuölty steering because of
their low
> >ground pressure.
>
> An object will float or sink based on its overall density. Density is
> mass/volume. The density  of the tank is higher than the density of
> water. Thats with or without the hull sealed.
>
> >  > Less simply, we can look at the numbers (some one have better
> >>  numbers, please use them..)
> >
> >For starters, use metric units ;-)
>
> Then use all metric...don't mix...

Yeah. Look what happened to some of the Mars missions in recent years.
At least one, if not two, of them were lost due to a mixing of metric
and The Other System. Wouldn't want your Abrams or block o'balsa to go
*boom*, would ya?  ;-)

Mk

Prev: Re: [rant] The Website thing... Next: Re: Fighter bay design (was: FT-Fighters and bays)