Prev: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust Next: Re: Kinetic Shields

RE: Kinetic Shields

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 06:57:23 -0400
Subject: RE: Kinetic Shields

The same way you make armor cost more when it is hit by
"screen-skippers"
than it does when it is hit by beams. Unless you can explain how this
was
done, you must also state that armor is out-of-balance and should be
fixed.
And if K-Guns are balanced with P-Torps, how do you make armor cost more
aginst P-Torps than against K-Guns (an "armor skipping" weapon)?

Armor is the precident in FT for equal protection from damage. The only
difference (and I admit it is large) is that shields would renew each
turn.
Thus you have to make the protection to mass/cost of the shields less
that
that of armor (or make it have less covererage - i.e. directional). I
think
that it would balance somewhere in the range of 2-3 mass per point of
protection.

I am unsure that your statement of P-Torp/K-Gun equality holds true at
higher classes of K-Guns (especially against an armored opponent). I
would
love to see the numbers. Intuition would indicate that in a comparison
of 1
Class-4 K-Guns vs 2 P-Torps (both 8 mass), the 2 P-Torps would have a
slightly better chance to hit, but the K-Gun would provide consistatly
greater damage per hit. Against an unarmored opponent (screened or
unscreened), the damage should be close to equal. Against an amored
opponent, the K-Gun would provide consistantly greater damage. The
greater
the amount of armor, the larger the difference between the K-Gun and
P-Torp.

Submitted with respect,

-----
Brian Bell