Prev: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust Next: Re: Armour generator

[FT] Space Vikings, Piper style

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 09:37:03 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
Subject: [FT] Space Vikings, Piper style

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 18:15:27 -0400 "Robert W. Eldridge"
<bob_eldridge@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Remember, H. Beam Piper wrote a (terrific) book called "Space Viking"
that had lots of action, both ship-to-ship and ground, that would
translate fairly easily into FB/DSII/SGII terms. His ships were quite
large, common classes being referred to a 1000-foot (length) and
1500-foot. No fighters though. <

Yeah, SV is a fun space opera romp. But it would be very odd in FT
terms -- no fighters, no _beams_, no screens, pulse torps... not a lot
of the usual game stuff at all. Ships would be armed with SMLs and/or
SMRs and a few MT missiles. Lots of armour and PDS for defence, with
maybe a few SubPacks or Scatterpacks for variety (although I could
argue that they shouldn't be allowed an anti-ship role). Kra'Vak drives
and cinematic movement would seem best to recreate the wild manoeuvring
that Abbot anti-grav drive gives.

And the ships are all spherical! The biggest one (the hero's ship, and
the one his enemy stole) are 2000 feet in diameter, and, as Robert
said, 1000-plus-footers are the basic Fleet units. I don't think that
makes them particularly large as starships go -- not with the supposed
sizes of certain TV and movie ships -- but there's a lot of volume in a
sphere that big -- which is why the SVs have plenty of cargo space for
loot <g>.

Okay, so how do you represent a 2000-foot sphere in SG or DS, because
the ships all have landing capability, and on occasion they come right
down to mud level to support their troops.

Phil
"I think... I think I am!     |        I think _I_ am:
 Therefore I am... I think?"  | 	Phil Atcliffe
   -- The Moody Blues	      | (Phillip.Atcliffe@uwe.ac.uk)

Prev: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust Next: Re: Armour generator