Prev: Re: fireteams/squads and marine carriers Next: Re: Armour generator

Re: [FT] JTLs Genre fighters

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:24:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] JTLs Genre fighters

I tend to use the Star Wars Role playing game
as a sourcebook (specifically the West End
Games one). It has descriptions of the various
ships designed to let you use them in the rpg
to shoot at and from the various ships.

That's not exactly a canon source, but it does
indicate that the TIEs have less firepower,
are less maneuverable, and much more fragile
than the renegade forces. No shields for one
thing. Also no heavy secondary weapon and no
FTL.

Why isn't the empire using Xwings? It branded
the company as rebel sympathizers and the whole
design staff defected with all their documentation
and all the prototypes, destroying all the data
behind them. It would take a major engineering
effort to duplicate the Xwing. They'd rather
develop new TIEs like the TIE interceptor.
Even if they could operate the xwing, it would
give them maintenance and training hassles.

So it really makes sense for the TIES to have to
have larger numbers to even compete on an even
basis with the better but less numerous rebel
fighters. The empire isn't short on manpower.