Prev: [DS] Future Wars - Cobra or Copperhead APCs Next: Re:[FT]Scale in Full Thrust

Re: [FT] JTLs Genre fighters. Incomplete.

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@y...>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 16:21:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] JTLs Genre fighters. Incomplete.

--- Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> > STARWARS:
>
> [terrible aspersions against imperial fighters and
> pilots deleted]
>
> You have made the terrible mistake of confusing the
> imperials inability to hit and kill named characters
with an inabilty to hit anything at all. ...The
boarding of Leia's ship, the assault on the Death Star
(except Luke's
> one small, but admittedly crucial part), t...
XXX
I used the death star as the guide; to make things
come out right the approx. 700 death star fighters
were assigned 100 to each of the six arcs, with
100 in reserve.
The 32 rebel fighters were divided 9 to the
death star assault and the remainder providing
cover to the assault force.
The 23 rebel covering fighters must destroy
94 imperial fighters leaving 6 to attack the
assault force.
The was I presented the fighters allows this
to happen, or be reasonably close.
XXX

> Proper modelling of Star Wars is as follows:
>
> The rebel player is allowed to designate an
> pre-agreed number of units
> as crewed by major characters.  These units may not
> be destroyed, but do
> suffer threshold checks, or run out of endurance, as
> appropriate.	All
> imperial units, and all rebel units with "named
> characters" are
> considered to have the best possible crew grade.
> Until such time as
> crew quality is added, all this means is that
> "named" rebel pilots and
> all imperial pilots are aces.  The rebel player
> loses if only units with
> major characters survive the battle.

XXX
    I can only suggest that you try 100 empire
aces in tie fighters vs 32 rebel fighters with
six aces. (sixteen ace imperial sq. vs six
rebel sq.)
XXX

XXX
The rebel player
> loses if only units with
> major characters survive the battle.
I presume this is a typo and should read;
...major characters 'DON'T' survive the battle.
XXX

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: [DS] Future Wars - Cobra or Copperhead APCs Next: Re:[FT]Scale in Full Thrust