Prev: re: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays Next: Re: Kinetic Shields

Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 13:20:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

I'm going to stick an unsolicited plug in for Tony Francis' Brigade
Minis
website - http://www.brigademodels.co.uk - (I think...)

Intelligent use of frames, nearly completely illustrated, easy to
navigate. I (still) haven't ordered anything from Brigade, but the site
is
a pleasure to browse thru.

Ainsty Casting is also well done - http://www.ainsty.co.uk - considering
the massive range of stuff they sell.

Some of the other UK minis firms have fairly dreadful websites, to be
honest... Chariot & FreiKorp both have what looked like scnned pages of
their print catalog - big, big images - as web catalog pages, and
minimal
indexing.

GeoHex - http://www.geohex.com - is straightforward but highly usable,
and
again has fairly large numbers of photos.

Someone mentioned seeing scale in miniatures photos - this is a great
idea. At least pose some stuff next to a figure of known size, or stick
coin next to it - although this last can be problematic given the
international nature of the web. I've got a Canadian quarter in some of
my
review scans, but excepting anyone but a Canadian or American to know
how
big that coin actually is is a bit much... (Canuck & Yank coinage is
very
nearly identically sized...) A scale of mm or 1/16th" along one side of
the scan or photo is a great idea...

Hope this helps a bit,

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -
- http://warbard.iwarp.com/games.html -

Prev: re: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays Next: Re: Kinetic Shields