Prev: RE: FT-Fighters and launch bays Next: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:43:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

--- stranger@cvn.net wrote:
> However, those weapons were quite a bit more potent
> than the FT fighter ones,
> so numbers are not needed.  A fighter in SFB is
> quite a bit more powerful than
> a single fighter in FT.

Which reinforces my contention that we're really
talking about corvettes here, NOT fighters whatever
they may be called.

PF boats were more like frigates, so called "fighters"
were more like FT corvettes. At least that's what
they looked like to me. It would be interesting to
look up the tonnage of these little ships (none
of which ever showed up in any of our FASA games)
to see how heavy they were.

> IN games I've played, at least when the Kzinti are
> involved, are usually not
> about big ship vs. big ship, but about big ship vs.
> a lot of little ships.
>
> I do agree though, that for the most part, SFB is a
> game about cruisers
> fighting cruiser.

In the Star Trek genre, it would be hard to imagine
something the size of a fighter (like the size
of a modern F14) carrying a weapon large enough
to make much of an impact on a starship. That was
always what I thought the justification was against
fighters. I saw the SFB fighters as actually pretty
sizeable little starships which were called
fighters but which were actually fairly large.
The PF miniatures were large enough to almost be
destroyer sized, or at least frigate sized.
They were cute as buttons too, I have most of the
ones produced. The Kzinti ones were very nice.

Prev: RE: FT-Fighters and launch bays Next: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays