Prev: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust Next: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:01:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

--- steve@pugh.net wrote:
> On 6 Jun 2001, at 11:02, Allan Goodall wrote:
> > The calculated scale for FT in the Tuffleyverse is
> 1000 km per MU, and
> > 15 to 20 minutes per turn.
>
> These were calculated, by myself and others, from
> the planets/orbits
> rules in MT. If an Earth size planet has a radius of
> 6" then the
> distance scale is known. And from the orbit rules
> and basic phyiscs
> the length of one turn was calculated.

Very clever

> But MT also contains alternative rules where one
> edge of the table
> represents the edge of a planet's atmosphere.
> There's no way of
> knowing what the scales are when using those rules.
>
> > I have seen references to 1 mass = 100 tons, but
> I'm not positive
> > about that.
>
> Isn't that in FB1? As a suggestion only for GZGverse
> ships.

Doesn't this make for small ships in the
Tuffleyverse relative to some other genre
universes? A 250 Mass SDN would be 25,000
tons. I've seen various ships described in
various genres up to millions of tons.

How much does a big carrier like the Nimitz
or a battleship like the New Jersey or the
Yamato weigh?

Prev: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust Next: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust