Prev: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays Next: Re: Canon

Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 22:37:34 -0400
Subject: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

Shawn M Mininger wrote:

> Question two: during current carrier operations,
> fighters that are launched to fight are almost always
> in line waiting to be launched aren't they?  I was a
> Marine, so most of my carrier experience was either
> with our amphib carriers, or just short stays on our
> big boys, mostly doing helo ops.  I am not an expert
> by any means on this subject, so any of you Navy boys
> might know this?  The time it takes to bring a fighter
> up from below and into launch status would be too long
> to matter in most battles wouldn't it?  Don't we
> usually have the first group of fighters launch and
> have a second group on standby already prepared and
> waiting on the flight deck?

According to the Harpoon naval miniatures rules, it takes half an hour
to arm and fuel a fighter, which is over twice as long as it takes an
AS-6 to fly its maximum range, so you are correct.  A CVBG fights a
defensive battle with whatever it already has fueled and on the deck.

Prev: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays Next: Re: Canon